The Central Management Server (CMS) can be installed separately (in a different location) from the main GFI LanGuard application(s). This article explains the steps for the GFI CMS installation and where the installation log is located.
The GFI LanGuard Central Management Server (CMS) console offers centralized reporting and visibility by capturing data from the various deployments of GFI LanGuard. It can be installed separately (in a different location) from other main consoles. By default, the GFI LanGuard main application installer recommends the installation of the CMS. The majority of the features will not be active until each function is enabled with permission to begin copying data to the reporting instance.
Some customers do not use the CMS actively if they are not interested in its reporting-only functionalities. Some skip the installation to save on system resources.
- Please ensure the system requirements before starting the installation.
- Be prepared with the administrator credentials of the machine where LanGuard will be installed.
- CMS GUI is supported by modern internet browsers updated to the latest version.
To install the GFI LanGuard Central Management Server:
- Log in using the administrator credentials of the machine where the GFI LanGuard Central Management Server will be installed.
If you are installing both GFI LanGuard and GFI LanGuard Central Management Server on the same machine, the installation wizard will first ask you to install GFI LanGuard.
- Launch the setup wizard and select the installation language (English).
- The GFI LanGuard CMS and all GFI LanGuard instances joined to it must be installed in the same language.
- The graphical user interface of the GFI LanGuard CMS is only available in English even if all instances of GFI LanGuard are installed in another language.
For example, a user may have LanGuard installed in German and would need to install the Central Management Server in German as well. Regardless of the installation being performed in German, when launching the web console for the Central Management Server it will still be in English.
- Select the components to be installed. Ensure that GFI LanGuard CMS is selected in the components list and click Next.
- Configure the database server.
In the Database Configuration window, enter the following details:
- Database and server name - This is the name of the Microsoft SQL server where the GFI LanGuard Central Management Server database is hosted.
- Use Windows Authentication - Tick this box if you want the GFI LanGuard Central Management Server to use the Microsoft Windows credentials of the currently logged in user when connecting to the Microsoft SQL database.
- SQL Login and Password - If the GFI LanGuard Central Management Server is not using Windows Authentication when connecting to the Microsoft SQL database, provide the username and password to be able to connect to the database.
- Read the licensing agreement carefully. To proceed with the installation, select I accept the terms in the License Agreement and click Next.
- In the Service logon information screen, key in the administrator credentials and password for the Windows service under which the scheduled operations run. Click Next to continue setup.
- Click Install to proceed with installing the GFI LanGuard Central Management Server in the default location or click Browse to change the path.
- Click Finish to finalize the installation.
Note: If CMS installation encounters an error, it will display a message "GFI LanGuard Central Management Server Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error" and rollback. Error details can be found in the installation log file lanss_v125_lgcmcinstallkitlog.txt, located in the %TEMP% folder (log file name corresponds to LanGuard version). Search for errors and the phrase return value 3 that lists the action that failed and caused the setup to rollback, and troubleshoot the environment settings, permissions, and credentials based on this information.
Check if LanGuard CMS is successfully installed by launching the Central Management Server.
Proceed with Configuring Central Management Server and Joining GFI LanGuard console(s). If CMS were installed as a part of the main LanGuard console basic installation, it must be already configured to join the Central Management Server. This can be validated by launching GFI LanGuard, going to Configuration -> Central Management Server, and verifying the following details:
- Server information
- Site details
- Synchronization status