The GFI LanGuard console hangs without displaying any error message.
Consulting the EventViewer - Application log you see the Error (1002) : "The program LanGuard.exe stopped interacting with Windows and was closed"
Inspecting the log: lanss_v114_dashboard.csv - you notice the following error:
"error ","CrmiModule","Given DB connection is null."
- GFI LanGuard 2012 and newer versions
- GFI LanGuard is using an SQL Database
Verify that the user logged into the server has access to the SQL Database following this procedure:
- Open File Explorer and enable View > File name extensions
- Create an empty document on the Desktop | rightClick > New > Text Document
- Rename the new text document and change its extensions to .udl and open it with doubleClick
- Test the connection to the SQL DB using Windows Authentication or specific user name and password, depending on which settings you've configured in GFI LanGuard
- If the connection fails, troubleshoot your SQL Server
If the connection succeeds but you still can't access the GFI LanGuard Console, troubleshoot if the issue is still associated with the SQL Server performing the following steps:
- Navigated to GFI LanGuard configuration files, usually located in: C:\ProgramData\GFI\LanGuard 12
- Open the XML file named: toolcfg_database.xml (rightClick > Edit)
- Locate the key: <Option Name="DbType"><![CDATA]></Option> and change the CDATA value from  to 
- This will change the Database type of GFI LanGuard from SQL to Access
The GFI LanGuard Console should start normally now
- Navigate the Console to: Configuration > Database Maintenance Options > Database backend settings...
- Reconnect your SQL Database
- The issue you were experiencing should be fixed
If the issue persists, please repair your SQL Database by rebuilding the Resource Database using this Microsoft official procedure:
When the GFI LanGuard Console launches it pulls out all the settings from XML files in ProgramData/GFI and initiates a connection to the configured Database.
Usually GFI LanGuard should display a connection error to the database, unless the database is corrupt and needs repair.
The GFI LanGuard console hangs without Error: http://www.gfi.com/support/products/The-GFI-LanGuard-console-hangs-without-error