Scans from the console are slow or taking a long time.
As GFI LanGuard continually increases the number of supported applications to be scanned and the number of patches available for supported applications grows, it inevitably takes longer times to scan, particularly during scans from the console (Interactive and console Scheduled scans).
GFI LanGuard must connect to and query each target computer for information about every item it is configured to check, ie communicate back and forth for information through SMB/RPC protocols on registry keys, file information, WMI data, and other information. This results in a high volume of back and forth network communications.
Therefore, the following factors can significantly affect scanning speed:
- Network Location of the target computers and latency
- Selection of Scanning Profile (the items GFI LanGuard will include in its scan)
- The current load on the target computer by installed programs
To address all of these modify the scanning with the help of one or more of the following suggestions:
- Verify that the GFI LanGuard server meets minimum System Requirements
- Schedule your scans to run during periods when network usage is lowest and the target computers are not actively used
- Customize Scanning Profile(s) used for scans to disable all checks which are not applicable for your environment or are not of interest:
- Port Scanning - this is especially time-consuming.
- Vulnerability scanning - if your main emphasis is on patching.
- Application scanning - especially the option to enable Full Security Applications Audit for Agentless Scans - LanGuard must do a deployment of approximately 50 files to the target computer to collect this information.
- Split scanning into different scheduled scans at different times using different profiles (ex. Alternate daily scans for Missing Patches and Vulnerability Scans, scan once weekly for installed applications and once weekly for port scanning).
- Increase the number of scan threads to 8. This will allow 8 target computers to be scanned at a single time (we do not recommend going higher than this number).
- Deploy Agents and Relay Agents on as many computers as your policies will allow.