This article provides information on how to enable NetBIOS on a target machine.
LanGuard relies on Reverse DNS and/or NetBIOS name resolution to associate hostnames to a computer. If both name resolution technologies are not available various scanning/remediation/duplicate licensing issues may occur.
To ensure that the scan targets are using NetBIOS:
- Navigate to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
Note: In Windows® XP, click Control Panel > Network Connections.
- Right-click on Local Area Connection and select Properties.
- Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and select Properties.
- Click Advanced > WINS.
- From the NetBIOS setting area, ensure that Default or Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP are selected.
- Click OK and exit the Local Area Properties dialog(s).
Note: If static IP is being used or the DHCP server does not provide the NetBIOS setting, select the Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP option.