Environmental changes may lead to LanGuard failing to connect to the Microsoft SQL Server database. If the issue is with the SQL Authentication failure, one of the errors will be present in the
lanss_v***_attendantservice.csv logfile located in the
%Data%\GFI\LanGuard 12\DebugLogs\ :
- "Login failure error, retry attempt number 3 in 1000 milliseconds..."
- "No DB connection available."
- "Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication."
There are several situations where Windows Authentication could create issues for LanGuard. For example, if SQL was set to use Windows authentication, and there are changes made to Active Directory's user's permissions structure, this can prevent LanGuard from properly communicating with SQL.
To change this, please do the following:
1. Change the SQL Server Security Authentication Mode
In SQL Server Management Studio Object Explorer, right-click the server, and then click Properties.
On the Security page, under Server authentication, select SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode, and click OK.
In the SQL Server Management Studio dialog box, click OK to acknowledge the requirement to restart SQL Server.
In Object Explorer, right-click your server, and then click Restart. If SQL Server Agent is running, it must also be restarted.
2. Enable the SA Login
In SQL Server Management Studio Object Explorer, expand Security, expand Logins, right-click sa, and click Properties.
On the General page, create and confirm a new, highly secure password for the sa login.
On the Status page, in the Login section, click Enabled, and then click OK.
3. Configure GFI LanGuard to utilize the sa
- In GFI LanGuard, click the Configuration tab, click on Database Maintenance Options, and click on Database backend settings.
- Specify the SQL Server credentials option to authenticate to the SQL server and enter the settings for the sa account. Ensure to uncheck Windows Authentication.
- Click on Okay, and you'll get an alert that the GFI LanGuard Attendant service needs to restart. Accept this.