It is recommended to always run on the latest GFI LanGuard version. The purpose of this article is to provide the information and guide you in the required steps to download the latest build and upgrade GFI LanGuard.
Since LanGuard is a security-based application, the updated definitions are only provided to the latest versions of the product. Therefore it is recommended to always upgrade to the most recent version.
The process for upgrading while retaining your settings depends on the GFI LanGuard currently installed version. Before proceeding with the upgrade steps, first select your upgrade path, based on your current version of GFI LanGuard:
- To upgrade from version 2014: Upgrade from GFI LanGuard 2014 (v10) to v.12.5
- To upgrade from version 2015: Upgrade from GFI LanGuard 2015 (v11) to v.12.5
- To upgrade from version 12: Upgrade from GFI LanGuard v.12 to v.12.5
- To upgrade from version 12.1-12.3: Upgrade from GFI LanGuard v.12.1-12.3 to v.12.5
- To upgrade from version 12.4-12.5: Upgrade from GFI LanGuard v.12.4 to v.12.5
It is recommended to backup your current GFI LanGuard database, the GFI LanGuard Data directory, and export the GFI LanGuard settings before an upgrade, as described in Backing Up GFI LanGuard. This backup may be useful in case the upgrade fails.
Once you are ready, follow the upgrade procedure:
- Log on to your current GFI LanGuard server as an Administrator or use an account with administrative privileges.
Click Download Upgrade to download the latest build on the server where GFI LanGuard is currently installed. Alternatively, download the latest build manually.
Right-click the newly downloaded installer and choose Properties.
From the General tab, click Unblock and then Apply. This step is required to prevent the operating system from blocking certain actions by the installer.
- Disable anti-virus software on the server machine during the upgrade installation. Re-enable it once the upgrade is complete.
Launch the installer.
In the components screen, select GFI LanGuard to install a local server instance. You may optionally choose GFI LanGuard Central Management Server to install a central server instance. Install only one instance of the Central Management Server within your organization.
After specifying your account's license key, the wizard prompts you to choose an existing Microsoft SQL Server or SQL Express. If a current installation is not available, click the option to install Microsoft SQL Express (free) on the local server. Proceed with the Microsoft SQL Express 2012 wizard.
Follow the wizard steps to install the new version side-by-side to your old version.
When launching GFI LanGuard for the first time, you will be asked to import the configuration from the old instance. Choose the settings to import and click Next.
When the import has completed, test the upgrade by running a scan to ensure GFI LanGuard installed successfully. When the new version has been confirmed to be operational, you may proceed to uninstall the old version from Windows Programs and Features.