You installed the GFI LanGuard trial to evaluate the product and need help with initial configuration and guidelines for the first steps.
GFI LanGuard is patch management and network auditing solution that enables you to manage and maintain endpoint protection across devices within your network. After Obtaining a GFI LanGuard Subscription, you have 30 days of evaluation with the full functionality of the product is available, limited to 25 IP addresses and 25 mobile devices.
Follow the steps below to get the full potential from the evaluation period.
The type of deployment depends on the number of computers and devices you want to monitor and the network traffic load during normal operation time. Refer to LanGuard Deployment Scenarios and Recommendations to determine the best options for your environment.
GFI LanGuard's performance depends on the system resources available. Ensure that the machine where GFI LanGuard is installed meets the System Requirements. For improved performance, it is recommended to use an SSD hard drive for the database server.
Obtaining an evaluation key
Follow Requesting a New GFI LanGuard Trial License Key to start your GFI LanGuard 30 days evaluation. If you need to evaluate for a longer period or with more than 25 IP addresses and 25 mobile devices, submit your request here.
Proceed to Install GFI LanGuard.
Scanning the machines and devices on the network is the first step to get to know the security level of your organization. Use the GFI LanGuard console to scan one or more computers:
Different Scanning Profiles are also available. Alternatively, Personalize a Scanning Profile for your evaluation.
On completion of a network security scan, it is important to identify the areas that require immediate attention. Use the information provided in the Dashboard to determine the correct analysis and interpretation approach to get the most out of your scan results and apply the appropriate fixes.
Use Computer Tree and attributes to summarize and organize the security information of your network, generate reports based on information obtained from scans.
Fix the vulnerabilities found on network computers during the scan:
- Manually from the Remediation Center - any remediation operations can be performed from the LanGuard console.
- Configure Patch Auto-Deployment - set up automatic download and deployment of missing patches and updates.
- Deploy Custom Software - remotely deploy third party or custom software network-wide.
The previous steps gave a view of the basic functionality of the GFI LanGuard. However, LanGuard offers many more features. If you would like to try more complex tasks, take a look at these options:
- Deploy Agents - GFI LanGuard agents enable faster audits and drastically reduce network bandwidth utilization.
- Configure Agent Schedule - Configure scheduled scans on computers running GFI LanGuard agents.
- Uninstall Unauthorized Software - control the applications installed on each target device and uninstall any unauthorized applications present in the network.
- Install Central Management Server - targeted for large organizations; this service consolidates in a single unit the reports from multiple instances of GFI LanGuard.