There are rare cases when all the Scanning Profiles, including the default, disappear. At the same time, vulnerabilities database updates are failing to install.
This article describes how to diagnose and fix the issue.
The most common root cause is the corruption of the operationsprofiles.mdb. This database contains all information and settings which make up the LanGuard scanning profiles (except for patch definitions). In addition, the database also contains all vulnerability definitions.
Use the Troubleshooter tool to verify whether this is the case:
- Launch the GFI LanGuard console.
- Click the menu button on the top left and navigate to Help > Troubleshooter.
- Choose Automatically detect and fix known issues and run through the steps provided by the Troubleshooter.
It should be able to detect operationsprofiles.mdb problems if any.
Browse to the Shared Application Data folder with the operationprofile.mdb:
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GFI\LANguard 12on Windows 2003/XP machines
\ProgramData\GFI\LANguard 12on modern Windows OS
Restore from Backup
If you have a backup of the Shared Application Data folder available, locate operationprofile.mdb in the backup and restore it.
Repair the Database
If the backup is not available, try to Compact & Repair the operationprofile.mdb:
- Open the operationsprofiles.mdb in Microsoft Access.
- Compact & Repair the database.
Replace with a Clean Copy
- Stop the GFI LanGuard Attendant service.
- Browse to the Shared Application Data folder.
- Rename the original operationsprofiles.mdb to operationsprofiles_old.mdb
- Copy the new operationsprofiles.mdb to the current folder.
- Start the GFI LanGuard Attendant service.
Note: By replacing operationsprofiles.mdb with a blank file, all the custom scanning profiles will be deleted.
Launch GFI LanGuard console, go to Configuration > Scanning Profiles and verify that they appear. Alternatively, run the Troubleshooter tool again and verify that the database passed the checks. If the issue persists, contact the Support Team.