You are planning to upgrade the Microsoft SQL where the LanGuard backend database resides and want to get instructions on how to install the new SQL server and move the database there.
The correct procedure here is:
- Stop all the GFI LanGuard services and close the console.
- Backup the existing LanGuard backend database; the default name is LNSSScanResults12.
- Uninstall the old SQL server.
- Download and install a new SQL server; make sure its version is the same or higher as the previous one.
- Restore the database backup.
- Connect the new database to LanGuard by following the KB article Changing the GFI LanGuard Database Backend.
- Start all GFI LanGuard services.
An alternative approach to backup and restore steps would be following Moving the Database by Using Detach and Attach Functions.
A quick way to verify success is to launch the GFI LanGuard console and go to Configuration > Database Maintenance Options - this will show the currently connected SQL server and the SQL server database in use.